Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 11:32:23AM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
>Bart Martens dijo [Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 06:24:32PM +0200]:
>>
>> We'd take away the free installer.
>
>If a free installer is still produced and offered alongside the one
>including non-free-firmware, would you feel more at ease? That sounds
>like an easy compromise to make, and many people would probably
>welcome it.
>
>Debian would recommend the one with non-free-firmware, for the
>purposes of enabling users to install on current hardware, but both
>would be available.

Absolutely!

As I said in the first mail in this thread: please suggest
alternatives that you might prefer. I'm fully hoping and expecting
that we will have a few alternatives on the GR ballot here, so as a
project we can choose our preferred way forward. I mainly held back
from suggesting other options muself because of advice in the d-devel
thread.

“Changing random stuff until your program works is bad coding
 practice, but if you do it fast enough it’s Machine Learning.”
   -- https://twitter.com/manisha72617183