Re: Perhaps we should start addressing shortcomings in our eco-system (Was: Re: What changes do you want in Debian?)

Hi,

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> But I digress, if we really want to be bold and show leadership, not
> only from the DPL but form the project, we should go a step further and
> make the Debian project not only a project to release and support a free
> software operating system, but also to be a proper leader in the free
> software movement and work on the issues in our eco-system that
> apparently no one else cares about and it should be part of our core
> identity.

Working on those issues helps us to build our free software OS so I
believe that work to be in our scope without any formal change.

> This itch has always been there for me, and I imagine other Debianites
> as well. But to move something like this forward in the project needs
> the support of our members instead of just finding every possible flaw
> at every opportunity. So I can't help wondering, does that kind of
> support exist within our community? Is it possible for us to get
> together to make large, important changes?

You should try it to figure it out. :-)

Somehow you moved the topic from the DPL leading Debian, to Debian leading
the free software movement. But for this to be possible, we must have a
better idea of what we stand for, our motto used to be "the universal
operating system" and that served us well for a long time, but it's
showing its age.

And it doesn't really matches with today's landscape where the amount of
free software that is not packaged (and often not packageable properly) is
much larger than what we already provide. We no longer can be everything
for everybody with only plain policy-compliant .deb. So what do we want to
be?

IMO building this shared vision is one of the main duties of a Debian project
leader.

Cheers,
--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀   Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>