Re: How to leverage money to accomplish high impact Debian projects

On 23.03.21 16:40, Gard Spreemann wrote:

> Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> writes:
>> Seems backwards to to me to pay for keeping packages alive that we have
>> lost interest in.
>
> That's a good point, I agree. What about packages that we have lost
> interest in, but that our users very much have not? Admittedly, I have
> no idea of what the cardinality of that intersection is.
>
> Or alternatively: are there hard-to-maintain packages that are highly
> useful to users, but where there just isn't enough interest to overcome
> a very high maintenance burden? Could paid work help offload the
> maintainer of such packages (leaving them with more of the fun parts and
> less of the non-fun ones)?

Indeed, that's exactly the point I was trying get at in my other
question to the DPL candidates.

I've amended that other questions with a quantifiable, and thus
hopefully better example of what you describe above: RC bugs in stable.