Re: Asking DPL to shorten Discussion Period for rms-open-letter

A few thoughts:

- I don't like the term "cancel" because I think it doesn't mean much anymore and is too loaded. Are we discussing a handful of people leaving volunteer positions? Yes. Are we discussing ruining their lives? No.

- I think some of us have been very close to the FSF and issues within the FSF for a long time and have strong opinions based on our personal and professional experiences working with the Board and the organization. I certainly can't condense 11 years of working with the FSF (as an intern, volunteer, and staff) into a single email. Some people have been associated with the FSF even longer (take John Sullivan, for instance).

- Obviously, I am one of the original signers of the letter. I like to think it speaks for itself. The things it calls for are not sudden responses to something that happened, but the result of years of thinking, conversations, studying non-profits, and being involved in social movements and activist work.

- Georgia Young, former FSF Programs Manager, said something very important: Nobody who wants rms off the FSF board is trying to destroy his life, & many of us like things about him, but in a position of power and influence, he has shown a disinterest in growth & change, & its causing more harm than good.

- To be explicit to anyone reading this, this is exclusively about the Board of the FSF (and to some extent the Voting Membership -- if you're reading this you're probably not a voting member). This is not about the staff. This is not about the mission of the FSF. This is not a condemnation of free software.

Cheers,

mdb