Re: Asking DPL to shorten Discussion Period for rms-open-letter

Quoting M dB (2021-03-24 23:55:23)
> A few thoughts:
>
> - I don't like the term "cancel" because I think it doesn't mean much
> anymore and is too loaded.

Means too little and too much at the same time?!?

https://www.dictionary.com/e/pop-culture/cancel-culture/ describes it as
a form of boycott, calling out, and group shaming.

Wikipedia seems to share that view - what am I missing? Am I in some
bubble confirming my views, and other bubbles tell radically different
storis about the meaning of the term?

> Are we discussing a handful of people leaving volunteer positions?
> Yes. Are we discussing ruining their lives? No.

Are we disccussing public boycott and shaming? Yes.

Do public boycott and shaming ruin lives?  Hopefully not, but I wonder
how you can so confidently dismiss both the term as being meaningless
and the action as being harmless.  Shame on you for not taking
responsibility for your action.

I get a strong impression that this RMS felow is far from a saint, and
encourage that he be properly tried for his alleged wrongdoings.

Public boycott and shaming is something else than a that, however.
Something that _does_ means much, and has a bitter taste in my mouth.

 - Jonas