Leading Debian

    Raphael> With that said, there could be many questions to be asked
    Raphael> but I will concentrate on three:

    Raphael> 1/ Why have you all given up on the idea to lead Debian? It
    Raphael> seems to me that you are happy with the DPL being a
    Raphael> super-intendant and nothing more.

Pandemic, man!
I have a certain amount of experience trying to lead Debian, and it's
not the year for it.

First, leading Debian responsibly is hard.  The DPL's job is not to
advocate for a specific technical direction.  At most, the DPL can pick
some areas where change is needed, find out (or confirm) relevant
stakeholder consensus, and move in that direction.

My first term, I was trying to illustrate process as well as accomplish
change.  And so, I worked on building project consensus.
As we saw, that was very high energy.

A DPL could lead in smaller ways--working on finding/confirming
consensus in smaller groups.
Even that's going to be relatively high energy, and if consensus proves
hard to find may easily spill into a project-wide discussion.

I don't think now is the time when we want to spend that kind of energy.

I don't think I'm the only one who is still healing from the pandemic.
Yes, I'm going through a lot of change, but it's all personal.  Finding
safety and community again.

What I expect from the communities I'm already part of is as much
stability and support as I can get.
I don't want extra change.  The world's throwing that at me just fine on
its own.

to the extent there's changeit is going  to come in small ways like figuring
out how to have community in an online world.  (the mini debconfs and
stuff like that).

But I'd also like to quibble with one thing.  Improving recruiting is
leading Debian.  I think it is one of the most important things we can
be working on now.  It puts us in a position to be able to sweep up and
welcome people jostled around by all the change in the world as they
come within our sphere of influence.
In my mind hearing that part of Jonathan's keynote last year was really
exciting.