Re: Proposal to overturn init systems premature GR

[ Removing tons and tons of personal Cc:s, I guess they all follow d-vote ]

Ian Jackson dijo [Tue, Dec 03, 2019 at 04:15:02PM +0000]:

> I have been proposing that there should be an alternative to Guillem's
> proposal.  I need a few more days to do this.  (Guillem's proposal has
> IMO excellent framing but lacks suitable specific guidance.  I hope we
> can make a version which combines Guillem's framing with some
> appropriate specific guidance, perhaps taken from one of the other
> proposals.)
>
> Sam has decided to cut short this process.  We started this public
> discussion less than a month ago.  This is very short.
> (...)

Ian, please don't.

Well, you did. But I must say, I'm not the least thrilled at seeing
this initiative.

While I share Sam's impression that the whole discussion has been
(impressively!) very civil and productive, I do not think further
delaying will be beneficial to the project. Yes, Guillem's proposal
arrived quite late in the process, presenting a very different and
important view. Yes, probably it could be improved. However, stating
the discusion started less than a month ago... Is quite far from the
observed fact that it started no less than five years ago. We are
trying to put closure to it. I think we can improve minutiae forever,
but will never reach a perfect solution that leaves everybody
happy. That's the main reason to hold a GR. The available options
(Guillem's included) will most probably cover the opinions / feelings
of basically all developers. And if something is missing, as others
have stated, either a high rank for FD or a new GR following this one
can be the next possible action.