Re: Proposal to overturn init systems premature GR

Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> writes:

> Russ, could you chime in here -- do you still think that starting on the
> 8th would give enough time to people who might be away from the PGP keys
> during the holiday season, or would we be cutting it tight?

> (I am almost never away from my own PGP subkeys so I don't feel I can
> judge myself whether it would be enough time.)

I also am never away from my PGP subkeys, so I can't speak from personal
experience.  I believe that starting on the 8th would probably be okay,
though.

That said, I'm also rather dubious that anything is going to fundamentally
change in the next few days.  Ian already has an excellent,
well-thought-out proposal on the ballot that reflects his position.  The
available solution space seems well-covered by the options available.
It's getting harder to keep the discussion productive.

Does anyone truly believe that another round of wordsmithing or changes to
statements of principles will change a lot of opinions or votes this deep
into this discussion?  To me at least it feels like everyone has had a
say, all the ballot proposals that were fielded within a week or so of
when the GR was originally proposed have been refined and are
well-represented, all of the major constituencies seem to be represented
on the ballot, and we've reached the point of diminishing returns.

Maybe I'm wrong.  I have my own bias towards making a decision and I'm
also dubious about the merits of high-level statements of principle, so I
probably have a skewed perspective.  If people feel like their vote and
the outcome are truly likely to change based on further work on ballot
options, by all means second or otherwise indicate support for Ian's
request for delay and I guess we can all figure out what to do with that
information.  Personally, I'm reasonably certain that nothing that could
happen over the next four or five days would change my vote.