Re: Draft text on Init Systems GR

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 10:29:10AM +0100, Thibaut Paumard wrote:

> I think this is very ambiguous and my immediate interpretation is
> probably not what the original proposer means. The two extreme
> interpretations I see for "designed to work exclusively with systemd" are:

>   - my guess for the OP meaning: some piece of software that is directly
> related to systemd, tries to enhance it and in the end should be part of it;

>   - my immediate interpretation: any piece of software where upstream
> does not care for (or does not have the resources to support) non-systemd.

Upstreams that design around systemd.

With systemd, you can get a COM-style component system where software can
request "whatever other software is there that implements this interface
should be started because I want to talk to it." with some additional
functionality like system services activating components in "the" user
session (i.e. a notion of a system's current user) for things like
Bluetooth that need an interactive pairing process and a per-user keyring.

This is a different design paradigm that requires central middleware, so
it's usually not a simple compile option that can be turned on or off.

   Simon