Re: Proposal: General Resolution on Init Systems and systemd Facilities

On Fri, 2019-11-15 at 07:39 -0500, Sam Hartman wrote:
> Your proposal blocks people from using the new facility until that
> discussion happens.

It also allows non-systemd to block progress for 6-12 months even after
discussion and at any later time for any enhancement (new feature) of
any facility.  We've seen people not caring about problems with
consolekit/systemd-shim for far longer times; so giving them such
blocks seems not a good idea to me (more so if the proposal is titled
"[...] without blocking progress").

That doesn't seem much different from the "loose init coupling" idea
that was proposed for two GRs earlier, except there is a possible way
for progress after a long discussion period and additional 6-12 months
of waiting.

Historically, we've also started to use new facilities without having
a-priory decisions about them: most things added to Policy have slowly
been gaining usage for some time before.  I don't think we should
change that approach.

Ansgar