Draft text on Init Systems GR

[ Please keep me in CC ]
[ This message may break threading. Sorry. ]

>I did not obtain a review of this version from someone who favors init
>diversity.  I didn't give them a lot of time, and they just wrote to let
>me know that they weren't going to be able to do a review this week.

Why so? Who are /they/, and why I, maintainer of two non-systemd init
systems, received no notification at all?

>version 2330c05afa4

>Choice 1: Affirm Init Diversity
>
>Being able to run Debian systems with init systems other than systemd
>continues to be something that the project values. With one exception,
>the Debian Project affirms the current policy on init scripts and
>starting daemons (policy 9.3.2, 9.11).

As was pointed by other comments, please do not refer to current policy.
Just say: init diversity is essential, package not working (e.g missing
sysvinit script) with pid1 != systemd is RC bug, in same vein as package
that FTBFS or segfaults on arch != amd64.

>Roughly, packages should include init scripts to start services that
>are included.

Let's make it simple. Missing init script for daemon is RC bug, no
matter what. I do not understand why daemon without init.d script
shouldn't be RC bug.

> Policy notes that early boot services like those started from
> /etc/rcS.d may be tied closely to the init system in use.

As long as they are from src:an-init-system.

> Init scripts are the lowest common denominator across all init systems.
> Packages may include support for init systems like systemd service
> units in addition to init scripts.  Current policy makes it an RC bug
> to include a service unit without an init script.

s/like systemd/other init systems/

>Policy editors are requested to amend policy; including a service unit
>without an init script is appropriate for a non-maintainer upload but
>should no longer be an RC bug.

Why? I object this clause.

So, here is my rewording, much simplier and shorter.

	Choice 1: Affirm Init Diversity

	Being able to run Debian systems with init systems other than
	systemd continues to be value for the project. Package not
	working with pid1 != systemd is RC bug, unless it was designed
	by upstream to work exclusively with systemd.

	Missing init script for package with daemon is RC bug.

Also, I second introduction of "crash everything, systemd is the only
way to bright future" option. It would be curious to see numbers.
--
Note, that I send and fetch email in batch, once in a few days.
Please, mention in body of your reply when you add or remove recepients.