Re: Draft text on Init Systems GR

Hi,

Le 15/11/2019 à 07:10, Brian Gupta a écrit :

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 7:51 PM Dmitry Bogatov <KAction@disroot.org
> <mailto:KAction@disroot.org>> wrote:
>

>     [2019-11-14 17:15] Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk
>     <mailto:ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk>>
>     > Dmitry Bogatov writes ("Draft text on Init Systems GR"):
>     > >     Choice 1: Affirm Init Diversity
>     > >
>     > >     Being able to run Debian systems with init systems other than
>     > >     systemd continues to be value for the project. Package not
>     > >     working with pid1 != systemd is RC bug, unless it was designed
>     > >     by upstream to work exclusively with systemd.

[...]

> I guess my question is what does it mean to say
> "designed by upstream to work exclusively with systemd"? Is that
> ambiguous, or clear to everyone?

I think this is very ambiguous and my immediate interpretation is
probably not what the original proposer means. The two extreme
interpretations I see for "designed to work exclusively with systemd" are:

  - my guess for the OP meaning: some piece of software that is directly
related to systemd, tries to enhance it and in the end should be part of it;

  - my immediate interpretation: any piece of software where upstream
does not care for (or does not have the resources to support) non-systemd.

The first interpretation is very strong but difficult to phrase in a
less ambiguous manner.

The second interpretation is so very light that this option on the
ballot is effectively equivalent to "scrap everything, support only
systemd".

Kind regards, Thibaut.