Re: to Moray: encourage teams to take interns

On 11/03/13 at 22:41 +0300, Moray Allan wrote:
> On 2013-03-11 22:14, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> >We can try to second-guess Google's motivations for excluding
> >documentation to determine if it also applies to packaging, or we can
> >just ask, which I have done:
> >
> >https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups=#!topic/google-summer-of-code-discuss/X9UmGnR6cZI
>
> OK, but you've again ignored the substantive points in my reply in
> favour of this specific issue.
>
> To be clear:
>
> I mentioned in passing that GSoC doesn't even seem to cover
> packaging, but it absolutely definitely does not cover a large
> proportion of Debian activities.  For example, documentation would
> be a perfectly valid activity for a Debian internship, as would be,
> for example, any coordination activity.  I also mentioned previously
> that in some cases they could be used to let people learn from
> "shadowing" activity, whereas the GSoC model is about the student
> working on a project and presenting the code at the end.
>
> And GSoC absolutely definitely only covers a rather narrow segment
> of the population.
>
> I am not trying to criticise GSoC or say it's flawed, just to
> explain why we might indeed want something more than only GSoC.

Note that I did not comment (or "ignored", as you put it) on some points
in your reply only because I agreed with them.

Still, given that GSoC exists, I find it useful to explore whether we
can use it for more (types of) projects than we do now. The fact that
we explore such opportunities doesn't prevent us from discussing or
creating our own internship program.

Btw, in your opinion, should this internship program include a stipend,
like GSoC?

For reference, there are other similar programs. See e.g.
https://live.gnome.org/OutreachProgramForWomen which is focused on women
(with 10 participating organizations).

Lucas