Re: to Moray: encourage teams to take interns

On 2013-03-11 22:14, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
We can try to second-guess Google's motivations for excluding
documentation to determine if it also applies to packaging, or we can
just ask, which I have done:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups=#!topic/google-summer-of-code-discuss/X9UmGnR6cZI

OK, but you've again ignored the substantive points in my reply in favour of this specific issue.

To be clear:

I mentioned in passing that GSoC doesn't even seem to cover packaging, but it absolutely definitely does not cover a large proportion of Debian activities. For example, documentation would be a perfectly valid activity for a Debian internship, as would be, for example, any coordination activity. I also mentioned previously that in some cases they could be used to let people learn from "shadowing" activity, whereas the GSoC model is about the student working on a project and presenting the code at the end.

And GSoC absolutely definitely only covers a rather narrow segment of the population.

I am not trying to criticise GSoC or say it's flawed, just to explain why we might indeed want something more than only GSoC.

--
Moray