Re: to Moray: encourage teams to take interns

On 2013-03-11 19:44, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
I see. Interesting. But in
https://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2013/03/msg00012.html, the "no
packaging work" rule seems to come from the Debian GSoC team, and at
least Sylvestre seems open to modifying it.

It "comes from" from how they have understood the GSoC rules -- I would suggest you read the GSoC pages, e.g. start from
that I mentioned before. Besides the explicit rules, see e.g. the timeline in
which is clearly designed around regular coding projects.

Or see e.g.
which definitively rules out documentation projects.

Probably the goals would need to be a bit more S.M.A.R.T than just "work
with the ruby team and learn about packaging", but things such as:
"prepare all packages for the transition to ruby 2.0" could work.

I would agree that some types of packaging projects can perhaps get approved under GSoC, if they can wait to fit into the GSoC timeline, and if it won't be a disaster if the student doesn't produce a good result, etc.

Nevertheless, I think it would be useful for us to have some wider kind of internship scheme, for the huge proportion of Debian activity that definitely will not fit under the current GSoC rules.

Another rather significant difference from GSoC, that I forgot to mention in the previous message, is that I would also like Debian internship schemes to include more people than only students over 18 at accredited institutions, unlike GSoC. People who are younger than 18, who have finished their formal studies, or who haven't made the choice to attend university could also benefit from this.