Re: to Moray: encourage teams to take interns

On 2013-03-11 18:42, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
In your platform, you give that specific idea:

I am not sure how it would differ from GSoC? What different problem will
this solve?

Apart from the obvious differences of control etc., GSoC is fundamentally about writing a significant piece of code. See
http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2013/help_page

Only a fairly small proportion of Debian work is about writing significant pieces of code. Currently GSoC doesn't even cover normal packaging work, let alone more coordination-type activities, see e.g.
https://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2013/03/msg00012.html

My proposal would allow us to offer internships like "work with the Ruby team and learn about packaging" or "work with the release team and learn about Debian processes".

See https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM for an existing initiative of this type in Debian.

Also, we often have problems finding ideas for GSoC. Do you think that
we can find enough ideas+mentors for another program?

I think it's much easier to offer "come and help in our team" than to think up a coding project that a student could plausibly do during a GSoC project to help Debian, that's not too easy or too hard, and that you don't prefer to just get on and do yourself, so yes, I hope we could find more ideas and mentors for what I'm suggesting.

--
Moray