Re: call for seconds: on firmware

Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> wrote: [...]
> [SC 1] doesn't require the so called source of the work to exist
> within Debian explicitly. It asks for any component in Debian to meet
> the DFSG.
>
> In turn however, the DFSG requires that in their §2. The DFSG use a mix
> of "component", "software", "program" words, which makes them a mess in
> that regard.

Quite right!  We need some editorial changes to fix this(!)

Except we already tried that, with the social contract, not long
before madcoder joined.  Surely no-one joining in 2005 could be
ignorant of what SC 1 applies to, given all the noise in 2004?

Actually, the DFSG don't use "component", "software" or "program" but
some of the explanations/illustrations do.

I think the DFSG could be written exactly, maybe using some system of
formal symbols, and there would *still* be disagreements about the
meaning.  The price of freedom is eternal vigilance, sadly.

Regards,
--
MJR/slef