Re: call for seconds: on firmware

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 06:04:32PM +0000, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> First of all, please stop the obnoxious cross-posting. It makes the
> threads unreadable anyway.
>
> (If you could stop the condescending and pedantic tone, that would help
> as well, but I guess that would be asking too much of you.)
>
> Le dimanche 16 novembre 2008 à 11:34 -0600, Manoj Srivastava a écrit :
> >         So, really, we cannot release programs (firmware) in main
> >  without source code just because a few delegates think we should.
>
> So another delegate (the secretary) should make the decision instead?

I believe the sense of the vote is to clarify the DFSG and that there is
no consensus on the matter. We could decide a 3:1 majority to say that
firmwares are subject to the DFSG _as well_ as for saying that the
firmwares are _not_ subject to the DFSG.

We try to decide that issue for years now, and nobody ever clearly win
one direction or the other I think.

For sure there are very vocal people in both camps, but I believe that
it's not really a 3:1 question because we never decided if the firmwares
are covered by the DSFG or not, and I don't think the DFSG were written
with the firmwares in mind back then (because it rarely existed at the
time), and it's quite "convenient" for the people not wanting firmwares
in main to decide that in fact people back then, while writing the DFSG,
had firmwares in mind already.

I'm not sure I'm presenting my point very well, but I'm sure some native
speakers will be able to formulate this differently if it's not clear
enough.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit