Re: Constitutional amendment: reduce the length of DPL election process

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 10:41:49AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > I don't agree. I think quite the contrary. We often tend to not address
> > issues and let them consume our energy in endless discussions. I believe
> > that having GR is useful to re-forge ourselves a clearer identity.
>
>   A GR is the poorest way to "agree" on anything. I think I'm not so
> surprised to see you claim that, even after some not so old history.
>
>   GRs do not unite, they divide. They divide the DDs in two: the one
> the losers and the winners. And the identity you claim to forge, is just
> the identity of the winning camp, not Debian's.

That's because you only take into account controversial GR. Not all GR
need to be controversial. Sometimes I'm tempted to use GRs to try have some
official position statements from Debian on some topics.

And at least, they give us some real figures of Debian instead of
unverifiable statements quoting the 'the silent majority' (which probably
exists in most cases, but whose opinion is difficult to know).

Raphaël Hertzog