Re: A question to the Debian community ... (Was: Question for Sam Hocevar "Gay Nigger Association of America")

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 03:20:31PM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [Sven Luther]
> > So, you are wrong, this is not about me, it is about debian, about its
> > fundamental unability to handle social conflicts, about some DDs who
> > sadly have achieved a situation of power, knowing no other way to handle
> > critics without hurting the other side as much as they can.
>
> If this is really not about you, then please, please, keep it that way.
>
> Let me propose something: You, Sven Luther, may continue to talk about
> what is wrong with Debian's handling of social situations ... but you
> will stop using yourself as an example.  Do not even _mention_
> yourself, nor your conflicts with d-i and d-kernel, nor the mediation
> attempts, nor your suspension.

Well, this would work, if the punishment i was under, where not so
personal.

  - i am barred from committing to the d-i svn repo, and trying to work
    through the BTS, led to frustration as frans did go on vacation, not
    applying the patches, and then blaming me for lost patches.

  - i later got banned from uploading .udeb packages, even though the
    right to do so was explicitly included in the original mediation
    from Anthony Towns, and the package in question was my own package.

  - i later got banned from the list for two months, without apparent
    reason.

  - then i got suspended for a year.

If this is not personal, what is it ?

For your information, if i had not been suspended, and the expulsion
request got dismissed, i would have taken a vacation from debian, and
maybe worked in an inpersonal manner to do some changes about what i
felt was working badly in debian. Already after the Jonathan/Ted
expulsion i wanted to reform the expulsion procedure, so it is more
fair, and will not leave any occasion of accusation of one-sidedness.

I told this to Ganneff, and could they let me be ? No, i was punished
unfairly instead.

> If you have a point to make, surely you can make it using other
> examples.  One case study does not make a pattern.  If you think Debian
> has a systemic problem, it should be easy to find other evidence.  (Or
> indeed, if you cannot find evidence that does not involve you
> personally, you would do well to ask yourself why not.)

Other evidence, let's look at mrvn's or ij's DDship for example ?

> My proposal isn't arbitrary: I have two reasons for it.  First, we have
> already heard your story many, many times; I find it extremely unlikely
> that you have anything to add to it that we haven't already heard.

Sure, i have repeated it many times, but on the other time, each time i
was trusting, and tried to behave, and didn't repeat me, i got punished
more for it, so this shows me that doing what you propose will serve
nothing, and that issues as grave as this one, will only come to the
attention if your stire the issue and insist on it heavily.

Sad, isn't it, but look back all this last year, and tell me how i could
reach a different conclusion.

> Second, because of the long history of your case, nobody can be
> impartial about it, least of all you.

This is where you are wrong, i know perfectly what i have done wrong,
and i apologized for it, and tried to better myself. Experience showed
me that such is ignored and counter productive. I also have the will to
solve this issue, and am ready to make concession, all i ask is for a
honest attempt to fairly solve this issue, even if the other side is
fully unwilling and, like Joey Hess did, make some menaces of stopping
all work on d-i if the decision does not go their way.

Saddened,

Sven Luther