Re: A question to the Debian community ...

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 09:49:53AM +1000, Brian May wrote:

>     Sven>   This committee would then investigate the issue, try to
>     Sven> talk with all parties involved, and get them to forget their
>     Sven> old grudges, and come to an agreement on how this could go
>     Sven> forward without punishing one side and hoping they will go
>     Sven> away.
>
> What do you think is the minimum required for *you* to forget your old
> grudges?

It is easy enough, that the powers-in-debian stop to try to punish me
for it, an,d that a real and fair mediation happens, and that the other
party honestly tries to forget the past grudges.

No solution can happen without this, and anyone thinking that the
current way of handling this mess, will have any chance to solve the
situation is a fool.

I made numerous attempts to solve it, which were meet with contempt by
the other party, and ignored by debian. Even the proposal i made on
november to try to find a solution, and have an in-face meeting at
FOSDEM, was meet with contempt, and a renewed expulsion request by the
other party. And so we lost a formidable oportunity to solve this.

> Lets *assume* the other party is not going to budge. They continue to
> justify the decision to have you expelled. No number of emails, GRs,
> committees, or mediators can change their minds, as they have already
> decided.

Well, there it is. We are faced with two parties in a dispute. One party
is mostly alone, has made mistakes, but is honestly trying to solve this
issue. The other party has made mistakes too, but never admitted to it,
and has meet all attempts at conciliation with stronger agression.
Furthermore, they are more numerous, and are able to use the debian
infrastructure to force their position down the throat of the other
side.

If they are unwilling to change their mind, if they are unwilling to put
their pride and past grudges apart, and if debian as a whole stands
beside them, or at least let them do as they please, then debian has a
much more serious problem than any bunch of mails i can write, even if i
write ten times as many of them.

> Would there be anything else that could happen to allow you to forget
> your old grudges?

How do you expect me to forget the old grudges, when each time i tried
to forget them, they where forced down my throat with more extreme
agression ? First after christmas with an unwarranted demand of a list
ban, then in end of february with a renewed expulsion request.

I guess that the debian project owes me apologies for these last two
events, at the very least, well, maybe not the debian project, but those
in power who let it happen that way, i doubt debian is honest enough
with itself that this will be able to happen, and most of those who
where sympathetic to my cause, chose, for whatever reason, not to act. I
understand them to a poiint, since all those who expressed themselves
during the expulsion procedure of late february/marsch, where ignored by
the DAMs.

Saddened,

Sven Luther