Re: A question to the Debian community ... (Was: Question for Sam Hocevar "Gay Nigger Association of America")

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 03:47:55PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Sven Luther <luther@debian.org> wrote:
> > The DAMs, who did not follow their own procedure [...]
>
> I contacted Sven Luther directly with an offer to start a GR to rescind
> the decision and optionally do some other stuff.  I've seen no reply.

Huh, i must have missed that one, can you resend it ?

> The offer stands and now the problem resurfaces, I will do something
> to resolve this one way or the other instead of letting this problem
> (endless mailing list noise) continue.  In the absence of feedback from
> Sven, I'll just make a guess at what's best.

My proposal is the following :

  That this is used as an experiment in how to solve social conflicts in
  debian, in the hope that a fair procedure is set up which will enable
  to avoid such problems in the past.

  We should setup a committe who could be trusted by both parties, and
  trusted to take decision in full clarity and transparency, and with a
  real argumentation they would not be ashamed of to present in public,
  contrary to what happened upto now.

  This committee would then investigate the issue, try to talk with all
  parties involved, and get them to forget their old grudges, and come
  to an agreement on how this could go forward without punishing one
  side and hoping they will go away.

> Any objections, comments or advice?

I welcome such a decision, i am unsure a GR is needed, it was my
opinion, that now that we have a DPL who may be able to take an
impartial decision on the issue, he could nominate such a committee, or
give a self formed committee real delegation power. But i may be wrong
on this, and maybe a GR is the only solution, i am unsure of this.

So, who is interested in finding a fair and human solution to this mess,
a solution which debian would not be ashamed of, and need to hide in the
DAMs mailbox, and at the same time pioneer a mechanism that can be used
in the future to deal with social problems like these ones ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther