Re: Anton's amendment

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 08:47:54AM -0500, Zephaniah E. Hull wrote:

> I am unconvinced that the DFSG means 'all modifications', I think that
> it really does mean all reasonable modifications.

'All reasonable modifications' is a reasonable interpretation provided
we agree what 'reasonable' means. :-)

> So I chop it down until there is nothing _except_ the copyright
> statement and the invariant sections.
>
> I can no longer make any modifications, I can't change the copyright
> statement because, well, the law where I live forbids me from doing
> that.
>
> And I can't change _anything_ in the document itself, I can add to it,
> but I can't change it.

You can do everything you want with the document as far as you keep
the invariant sections intact.  If 'reasonable modification' means
'any modification I'd like to do' then the document is obviously
non-free.  But if 'reasonable modification' means 'modification that
is necessary in order to solve some particular need' then it is not
obvious that the document is non-free as we can see from the examples
given so far [*].

Anton Zinoviev

[*] http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2006/02/msg00226.html