Re: Anton's amendment

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 09:06, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> > Sometimes an enhancement requires removing invariant sections.  For
> > example, if you want to turn the manual into a reference card.
>
> You can attach the invariant sections to the reference card and the
> conditions of GFDL will be satisfied.

It seems to me that there an awful lot of potential *practical*
problems with invariant sections in documents.

They may contain outdated, narrow, or even dangerous advice or
code examples.  For example: code fragments written against
obsolete APIs in other packages, scripts which work with standard
dev but not with udev, or insecure methods of temp file creation.

I would hope that we could prevent such problems by defining
general invariant sections to be non-free.  Debian could
reasonably make *specific* exceptions, e.g. for a concise
reference to the license and/or copyright holder(s).

--Mike Bird