Re: Anton's amendment

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 09:41, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         "The license must permit modifications". No if, and, or
>  buts. So no, I do not think that is actually true.

Sure, it says it must permit modifications, but it doesn't way that it must
permit ALL modifications. The way it reads, literally, could be interpreted
as it must permit ALL modifcations, or as it must permit at least two
modifications (so that "modifications" is plural).

Anyway, you, or I, or anyone can go on and on about nitpicking what it says
and what is or is not an "interpretation", but all of that is pointless,
since the Debian Free Software Guidelines are, well, guidelines.

I think it's completely appropriate for the developer body to determine how
to apply those guidelines using their own common sense and gut feel,
without resorting to grammatical nitpicking. So a vote on this doesn't
require any changes to what the document says, nor does it change what the
document means. It's merely showing what how majority of developers think
the guideliens should be applied to the GFDL.

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net> <xmpp:wjl@icecavern.net>