Re: Amendment: GFDL is compatible with DFSG

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 16:05 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 10:09:53PM +0200, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> > The following is my reasoning (and similar for "control").
> > "Progress or accomplishment" means that the process that is being
> > hindered or prevented has already started.  Hence you can not
> > "obstruct the reading" if the process of reading has not started yet.
> > When the permission bit for reading is not set then the reading can
> > not start.
>
> You must be an aspiring lawyer, because this attempt to twist common English
> words is stupid.  That, or you need to look up the meaning of "prevent" as
> well; sorry, I'm having a hard time guessing whether there's a language
> barrier here, or you're being deliberately perverse.  Your argument is
> equivalent to saying that since the police failed to stop you, there was no
> arrest, and therefore you were not resisting arrest.

The problem is that the GNU FDL doesn't do what its authors wanted it to
do when it comes to DRM. Anton wants to explain what the GNU FDL is
supposed to do, while Steve and Frank point out that it doesn't do it
well in most places, and doesn't do it at all in other places.

Before we cross the line where we no longer debate the issue and where
we reduce all arguments to personal insults, could we please stop?

Remember that with email, it's easy to make mistakes that are less
common elsewhere. Interpreting too literally. Anxiety due to the fact
that what you said will be recorded for a long time in the archives --
"have to get it right the first time". Perhaps worst of all, to forget
that the small compensations of body language when you have to tell
someone you disagree are missing from the email. You have to spell them
out. I suggest a break from this discussion. Go and do something fun
today, and return another time to read the message [0] I sent before
this one with suggestions on how to move forward from here.

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2006/01/msg00280.html

--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>