Re: Amendment: GFDL is compatible with DFSG

Anton Zinoviev <anton@lml.bas.bg> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 02:02:25PM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
>> >
>> > If you do "chmod -r" then I am unable to read the file and there
>> > exists no reading to control.
>>
>> Come on.  If the directory is world (or just group) readable, there *is*
>> in fact something to read.  Simply defining that every copy that cannot
>> be read is not there, and therefore not letting others read it is okay,
>> is just ridiculous.
>
> The copy _is_ there but there exists no reading, so there is nothing
> to control.  I mean there is no reading of the copy, the directory can
> be read but it is obviously not covered by GFDL.

With that reasoning, I would be allowed to make as many copies of my
WindowsXP CD's as my CD burner manages before it blows up in smoke, as
long as I don't let anybody else read them.  I repeat: Claiming that a
copy doesn't matter just because you can't read it, and doing this when
discussing the specific clause that forbids to obstruct other's reading
of the copy, is just ridiculous.

>> > If you use some technical measures to make me able to read today but
>> > not tomorow a text you gave to me, then you would be controlling the
>> > reading.  The encrypted file systems and "chmod -r" do not achieve
>> > this.
>>
>> The clause was explicitly introduced to forbid distribution on a
>> particular type of encrypted file system, namely,
>> Digital-Rights-Management-enabled media.  You are wrong.
>
> OK.  That was just an example.  If I give you handheld that allows you
> to read the Glibc manual only today but not tomorow then I would be in
> violation of the license.

Correct, and if you'd give me a handheld with the manual on it, but
encrypted so that it's impossible to read it no matter when, you'd be in
violation of the license, too.  Or if you'd store it in your homedir on
a multiuser machine and remove the r bit for others.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)