Re: Amendment: GFDL is compatible with DFSG

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 06:39:41AM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> On Sunday 22 January 2006 16:45, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> > > In fact, the license says only this:
> > >
> > >    You may not use technical measures to obstruct or control the
> > >    reading or further copying of the copies you make or distribute
>
> Did any of you actually *read* this?  Read it.
>
> What it actually *says*, means that storing a copy on a multiuser
> machine with UNIX permissions set so that it can't be read by
> everyone is *prohibited*.
>
> The permissions are clearly a "technical measure".

Yes, they are.

>  They clearly obstruct and control the reading or further copying of
> that copy.

No, they can not.  They can not control something that doesn't exist.

If you do "chmod -r" then I am unable to read the file and there
exists no reading to control.

If you use some technical measures to make me able to read today but
not tomorow a text you gave to me, then you would be controlling the
reading.  The encrypted file systems and "chmod -r" do not achieve
this.

Anton Zinoviev