Re: Amendment: GFDL is compatible with DFSG

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 02:02:25PM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:

> > If you do "chmod -r" then I am unable to read the file and there
> > exists no reading to control.
>
> Come on.  If the directory is world (or just group) readable, there *is*
> in fact something to read.  Simply defining that every copy that cannot
> be read is not there, and therefore not letting others read it is okay,
> is just ridiculous.

The copy _is_ there but there exists no reading, so there is nothing
to control.  I mean there is no reading of the copy, the directory can
be read but it is obviously not covered by GFDL.

> > If you use some technical measures to make me able to read today but
> > not tomorow a text you gave to me, then you would be controlling the
> > reading.  The encrypted file systems and "chmod -r" do not achieve
> > this.
>
> The clause was explicitly introduced to forbid distribution on a
> particular type of encrypted file system, namely,
> Digital-Rights-Management-enabled media.  You are wrong.

OK.  That was just an example.  If I give you handheld that allows you
to read the Glibc manual only today but not tomorow then I would be in
violation of the license.

Anton Zinoviev