Re: Amendment: GFDL is compatible with DFSG

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 02:48:20PM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
> Anton Zinoviev <anton@lml.bas.bg> wrote:

> >> Come on.  If the directory is world (or just group) readable, there *is*
> >> in fact something to read.  Simply defining that every copy that cannot
> >> be read is not there, and therefore not letting others read it is okay,
> >> is just ridiculous.
> >
> > The copy _is_ there but there exists no reading, so there is nothing
> > to control.  I mean there is no reading of the copy, the directory can
> > be read but it is obviously not covered by GFDL.
>
> With that reasoning, I would be allowed to make as many copies of my
> WindowsXP CD's as my CD burner manages before it blows up in smoke, as
> long as I don't let anybody else read them.  I repeat: Claiming that a
> copy doesn't matter just because you can't read it, and doing this when
> discussing the specific clause that forbids to obstruct other's reading
> of the copy, is just ridiculous.

I don't say the copy doesn't matter.  I say that there is no process
of reading the copy.  Do I control your reading of the image on my
videomonitor?  Maybe I control you, but not your reading, because
there is no reading at all.  And yet my videomonitor is very real.

Anton Zinoviev