Re: Question for candidate Towns

Henning Makholm wrote:
Scripsit Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au>
Matthew Garrett wrote:
(I'm not suggesting that the ftp-masters are doing their job
inadequately here,
See, that's the thing, you _are_. You can tell, because you had to
explicitly refute the idea; it's the same as being able to tell you're
being offensive when you feel the need to say "no offense
intended".
No. He had to explicitly refute the idea because you're famous for
consistently interpreting *any* suggestion that something in our
organisation might not work optimally and needs improvement as if it
was a personal attack on whomever is currently responsible for that
particular something.

I don't believe that's the case. As a counter example, I offer

It's quite possible to talk about technical issues without blaming people or suggesting they're incompetent or that they ought to be doing their job better.

And sometime's that's necessary; but it's happening
_continually_, which is just tiresome and demotivating.
What's extremely demotivating is your continued insistence that
everybody who want to improve something is attacking the people who
are involved in the something that could be improved.

*shrug* If you'd like to help, you need to stop talking and listen: what I've been saying for over a year now is the best thing that could be done to improve the groups I know of is to stop the flaming and blaming. If you're not willing to do that, that's fine, but don't act surprised when things don't improve, or when you get ignored when you ask for information so that you can help. Maybe other people can think of better ways of improving things, but to my mind, that one's at least an order of magnitude more important than anything else at encouraging people to do work and to participate in discussions.

As in: The first step in improving something is to find out more about
what the problem is. The way to learn about what the problem is is to
ask on an appropriate mailing list.

So, there's your answer. Does it make you happy, or does it just annoy you?

Whenever one asks what the problem
is, Anthony Towns will immediately reinterpret the question as "being
offense" and an accusation that the problem is that the current
delegates are not doing their job properly. This instantly turns the
initial problem-solving attempt into an unproductive flamewar.

It takes two to have a flamewar. Are you really so invested in comments like "You're famous for consistently interpreting *any* suggestion as if it was a personal attack" that giving them up isn't even worth considering?

Do you have a better term for the above quote than a personal attack, btw?

This is probably going to happen no matter who we elect for DPL, but I
cannot begin to imagine the chilling effect it would have if Anthony
Towns were also the DPL, who in his campaign have asserted that "being
offensive" should lead the one asking the question to be "suspended,
banned, or removed from the project entirely".
[http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2005/03/msg00075.html]

I'm pretty confident I can find someone who's not me to enforce that policy who doesn't suffer from that level of infamy, and I'm also pretty confident that given that policy being actually enforced, that I can encourage a bunch of people who currently aren't interested in participating in the lists to change their view.

You're, of course, welcome to believe that or not, as you see fit.

And given we just had this _exact_ flamewar a month ago on -project, along with similar ones at least every month or so for years now, I don't really see any evidence for there being a "chilling effect". But hey, YMMV.

Cheers,
aj