On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:47:09 +1000, Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> said:

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:34:55AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 00:31:15 +1000, Hamish Moffatt
>> <hamish@debian.org> said:
>> > I'm stunned that this GR passed. I was surprised when the
>> > secretary called for votes because the proposal wasn't anything
>> > close to ready for voting
>> Then you need to read the constitution, you obviously do noty know
>> how Debian works. Once a proposal has gathered the requisite number
>> of seconds, the secretary has limited wiggle room in calling the
>> vote; A2.1. I had already put off Andrew once, pleasding technical
>> issues, after he had called for a vote; I could notr, in good
>> conscience, keep on postponing a properly proposed GR.

> Actually I cannot justify your position from my reading of the
> constituition.

	Hmm. I guess we could ask for a formal disambiguation.

	I do not indefinitely delay votes for no discernibl;e
 reason. After all, I am still convinced that the vote was a minor
 editorial clarificatrion of what the SC has always meant.  If you
 believed differently, how come you are so very vociferous _after_ the

> The constituition says that there is a minimum discussion period of
> two weeks, plus/minus one week at the secretary's discretion.  It
> says nothing of a maximum discussion period.

> It says that the proposers and sponsors may call for a vote. It does
> not indicate that the secretary must act within any timeframe or
> even that the secretary must act quickly.

	That is a quibble.  The call for votes does not go to the
 secretary, the call for votes goes to the voters. Once the call for
 votes has gone out, the voters vote; and the secretary must arrange
 for these votes to be counted.

> I'm not actually suggesting that the secretary should stall the vote
> at his own discretion. This is a hole in the constituition.

	I do not think it s a hole in a reasonable reading of the

> (Admittedly, somewhat smaller than the one that allows less than 4%
> of the developers to change the social contract.)

	That, too, is not a hole. If people were not so very
 apathetic, they could oppose any change -- by (gasp) exercising their

	The people who did not vote should not be trying to pin the
 blame of their apathy on any and everyone else in spitting distance.

It is generally agreed that "Hello" is an appropriate greeting because
if you entered a room and said "Goodbye," it could confuse a lot of
people. Dolph Sharp, "I'm O.K., You're Not So Hot"