On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:47:09 +1000, Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> said:

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:34:55AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 00:31:15 +1000, Hamish Moffatt
>> <hamish@debian.org> said:
>> > I'm stunned that this GR passed. I was surprised when the
>> > secretary called for votes because the proposal wasn't anything
>> > close to ready for voting
>>
>> Then you need to read the constitution, you obviously do noty know
>> how Debian works. Once a proposal has gathered the requisite number
>> of seconds, the secretary has limited wiggle room in calling the
>> vote; A2.1. I had already put off Andrew once, pleasding technical
>> issues, after he had called for a vote; I could notr, in good
>> conscience, keep on postponing a properly proposed GR.

> Actually I cannot justify your position from my reading of the
> constituition.

	Hmm. I guess we could ask for a formal disambiguation.

	I do not indefinitely delay votes for no discernibl;e
 reason. After all, I am still convinced that the vote was a minor
 editorial clarificatrion of what the SC has always meant.  If you
 believed differently, how come you are so very vociferous _after_ the
 fact?

> The constituition says that there is a minimum discussion period of
> two weeks, plus/minus one week at the secretary's discretion.  It
> says nothing of a maximum discussion period.

> It says that the proposers and sponsors may call for a vote. It does
> not indicate that the secretary must act within any timeframe or
> even that the secretary must act quickly.

	That is a quibble.  The call for votes does not go to the
 secretary, the call for votes goes to the voters. Once the call for
 votes has gone out, the voters vote; and the secretary must arrange
 for these votes to be counted.

> I'm not actually suggesting that the secretary should stall the vote
> at his own discretion. This is a hole in the constituition.

	I do not think it s a hole in a reasonable reading of the
 constitution.

> (Admittedly, somewhat smaller than the one that allows less than 4%
> of the developers to change the social contract.)

	That, too, is not a hole. If people were not so very
 apathetic, they could oppose any change -- by (gasp) exercising their
 franchise.

	The people who did not vote should not be trying to pin the
 blame of their apathy on any and everyone else in spitting distance.

	manoj
--
It is generally agreed that "Hello" is an appropriate greeting because
if you entered a room and said "Goodbye," it could confuse a lot of