Re: "keep non-free" proposal

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 11:17:37AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> My reading of that has been that this is limited to actual technical
> matters (such as those in 6.1-2 of the Constitution).  But on
> re-reading the text, while I would still say this, I agree that my
> reading is by no means the only one of the text.
>
> So, Technical Committee, what say you?  Would you entertain such
> requests?

Caveats: I'm not the technical committee, and this isn't the mailing
 list for the technical committee.  [The technical committee reaches
 its decisions by voting, but debian-vote is for GRs, not committee
 decisions].  Also, the consitutional interpretation which the committee
 decides on could be overruled by the Project Secretary [who might be
 heavily influenced by the opinion of the author of the constitution].

With those cautions in mind:  Of course we would.

We've dealt with analogous issues in the past.  Ben Collins got the
committee involved in his "crypto in main" document, when he was leader,
for instance.

There's a flip side of course (would the committee agree with you on
what you propose?  which mostly relates back to: did you consider all
the important issues?), but that doesn't seem to be what you're asking.

As a final note: if you want to release some free package in main, which
depends on some package which has a DFSG license but is in non-free
rather than main, I can't think of any reason we wouldn't support you
in getting that other package into main.

--
Raul