Re: "keep non-free" proposal

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 07:17:59PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
> > I don't understand you. You claim that all the packages in non-free
> > should go, and when i point you out a method on how to do that, you
> > refuse to do that and speak bureaucrasy.
>
> I'm saying that we don't have any policy to permit anyone but the
> maintainer to even file a bug report for such a situation.

Well, you fill a bug report against the package, not against ftp-master,
and discuss the issue with him.

Then after a time, either when he agrees or he is being unreasonable,
you bring the issue before the technical comittee, which can override
the maintainer if he is being wrongly stubborn.

Now, if he points out lacunes in free alternatives, then helping fix
those lacunes may be a good way to convince him.

> Officially, there is nothing at all wrong with such a situation.
>
> I would like to make *something* wrong with it.

Well, you are interested in bureaucratically makeing things changes. I
doubt that will work. Try doing it with the above method, and log all
information on it. See it as a study case to help delineate the problems
and procedures involved in it.

But if you refuse to do it so, and insist on a solution from above,
sorry, but i doubt this will bring you very far, and i seriously doubt
that you understood why many were dead against the drop non-free issue.

Friendly,

Sven Luther