Re: Questions to candidates - Debian/FSF discussions

* MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> [2004-03-03 08:33]:
> It's now over four years since RMS asked -legal for comments on the
> FDL. Do DPL candidates think agreement is likely in the next three
> months? How much longer should this discussion be given? What would
> they do to see more FDL-caused bugs in Debian closed during their
> term?

It's hard to predict how much longer it is going to take.  We are
basically waiting for the FSF to get back to us, but there have been
various delays because RMS broke his arm, and the SCO disaster, etc.
However, Bradley Kuhn (Vice-President of the FSF) and Eben Moglen
(FSF's lawyer) share some of our concerns and I am confident, from
talking to them, that they are truly interested in resolving this
issue.  What I'll do and what I've done to resolve this: I approached
Bradley Kuhn last year and arranged a face to face meeting in Boston,
and later when Bdale was in Boston I asked him to discuss this issue
with Bradley again.  Later, I helped opening constructive
communication between Debian and the FSF by appointing Mako Hill and
Don Armstrong as our representatives to the FSF about this matter.
Since then, I regularly stay in contact with them, and continually ask
Don for the status and ask him to stay in contact with Eben.

--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com