Re: Questions to candidates - Debian/FSF discussions

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:46:59 +0000, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> said:

> * MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> [2004-03-03 08:33]:
>> It's now over four years since RMS asked -legal for comments on the
>> FDL. Do DPL candidates think agreement is likely in the next three
>> months? How much longer should this discussion be given? What would
>> they do to see more FDL-caused bugs in Debian closed during their
>> term?

> It's hard to predict how much longer it is going to take.  We are

	It is beginning to sound like this is devolving into a blue
 sky open ended effort, with nothing to show for it in the last 5
 months since I was asked to muzzle up my efforts on this front.

> basically waiting for the FSF to get back to us, but there have been
> various delays because RMS broke his arm, and the SCO disaster, etc.
> However, Bradley Kuhn (Vice-President of the FSF) and Eben Moglen
> (FSF's lawyer) share some of our concerns and I am confident, from
> talking to them, that they are truly interested in resolving this
> issue.  What I'll do and what I've done to resolve this: I
> approached Bradley Kuhn last year and arranged a face to face
> meeting in Boston, and later when Bdale was in Boston I asked him to
> discuss this issue with Bradley again.  Later, I helped opening
> constructive communication between Debian and the FSF by appointing
> Mako Hill and Don Armstrong as our representatives to the FSF about
> this matter.  Since then, I regularly stay in contact with them, and
> continually ask Don for the status and ask him to stay in contact
> with Eben.

	Has all this talking resulted in even an iota of concrete
 movement on the official FSF position?  Have there been any real
 promises made that there is indeed going to be a change, from hte
 powers that be in the FSF?  Is there anything solid we can show our
 users about movement on this issue, neyond a bunch of people
 wandering around talking about it behind the scenes?

	manoj
--
"R&D is not something that can be useful alone... R&D is part of a
product- making process." Ralph E. Gomory, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation,