Re: Voting system stuff, again [Was: thoughts on potential outcomes for non-free ballot]

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 11:48:59AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > I would expect to see a highly polarised set of results, where most
> > people rank further discussion as 2. It doesn't matter whether it's
> > mathematically sound or not, that's how people think.
>
> It might be how *you* think; but at least historically Debian tends
> to prefer to make a decision, even if it's not the one they personally
> prefer.

Historically, Debian tends to have a whole bunch of nonsensical
ballots filed in every vote; we have developers who simply do not
comprehend our voting system.

In addition, I don't think that this issue is the same as the previous
ones you describe. It's not the first time there's been a vote that
behaved like this either; look at how people placed Branden Robinson
in the last DPL election or two for an example of the same sort of
thing.

> > > No, I'm describing a situation where the voting system is being used in
> > > the way it was designed to be used.
> > Then it's a matter for the secretary when creating the ballot, not an
> > independent proposal. I suggest you take it up with him (when he gets
> > back).
>
> No, if no one feels strongly enough that the status quo is a good outcome
> (as they didn't for the social contract or the original "Concorde" voting
> system), then it shouldn't be proposed and shouldn't appear on the ballot.

I think you'll find that most people who want to keep non-free would
be happy to vote "Further discussion" and are not even aware of what
you describe, let alone interested in it.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |