Re: Voting system stuff, again [Was: thoughts on potential outcomes for non-free ballot]

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 05:44:50PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 05:55:03AM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > > No, that's not the case. Debian resolving to keep non-free as is is not
> > > the same as Debian deciding to discuss the matter further.
> > For practical purposes, the outcome is identical. "Keep non-free"
> > means "nothing changes" and "Further discussion" means "nothing
> > changes" (see below for conclusions).
>
> No, that's again not the case. If a vote reverts to further discussion,
> that's _exactly_ what should take place. It means that none of the options
> proposed were the desired outcome of the project, and to move forward, we
> need to either work out some new options, or better explain the ones we
> have.
>
> By contrast, if the project decides to stick with what we currently have,
> futher discussion is not a desirable activity: it means the project has
> looked at the issues, thought them through, and decided how to deal with
> them; further discussion of the same issues is not useful to the project,
> and since the decision has already been made, is going to be a waste of
> time for the proposers.

Note that this is totally unenforcable and therefore won't happen;
regardless of *how* the proposal is voted down, further discussion is
what will happen (sooner or later).

> > I don't see why this:
> > > 	[ 1 ] Keep non-free
> > > 	[ 2 ] Drop non-free
> > > 	[ 3 ] Further discussion
> > indicates what you describe. Surely it says:
> > "I would rather maintain the status quo than drop non-free. I would
> > rather drop non-free than maintain the status quo"
>
> No, it says "I'm satisfied that we've thought these proposals through,
> so I don't think further discussion on this matter is useful. Of the
> proposals, I would prefer to keep non-free."
>
> Likewise,
>
> 	[ 1 ] Keep non-free
> 	[ 3 ] Drop non-free
> 	[ 2 ] Further discussion
>
> says "I'd like to keep non-free, but I don't think the proposal to drop
> non-free has appropriately considered all the relevant issues, or the
> consequences of that action". You might vote that way if you strongly
> think that the proposal should specifically deal with what happens with
> contrib, eg.

Interesting idea, but there's zero chance of it working. People can't
even fill out the existing ballots properly, they'll never grasp this
- so the results won't tell us anything particularly useful.

I would expect to see a highly polarised set of results, where most
people rank further discussion as 2. It doesn't matter whether it's
mathematically sound or not, that's how people think.

> > I *think* that you're describing a scenario with a large number of
> > insincere voters, though.
>
> No, I'm describing a situation where the voting system is being used in
> the way it was designed to be used.

Then it's a matter for the secretary when creating the ballot, not an
independent proposal. I suggest you take it up with him (when he gets
back).

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |