Re: Comparison and rebuttal of Raul Miller/20040119-13 against Andrew Suffield/GR Editorial

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 11:51:13AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 12:02:06PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 02:28:13AM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> > > You seem to be asserting that we, as a project, shouldn't recognize such
> > > standards violations as bugs.
> > Correct. Violating the LSB is not a bug.
>
> I'm sorry, but you're wrong. It's not simply a bug, it's a release
> critical bug. The responsibility of finding a fix belongs to the -lsb
> group, but the maintainer is still required to apply the fix in the
> usual timely manner expected for RC bugs.

That's like saying that violating POSIX (when POSIXLY_CORRECT is *not*
set) is a release-critical bug in glibc. I'd bet that you'll go back
on those words eventually.

Bugs are things that break software, not arbitrary third-party
specifications.

Historically, when the specification requires you to do something that
is a bug, we break it. Most other people do the same.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |