Re: Voting system stuff, again [Was: thoughts on potential outcomes for non-free ballot]

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 02:13:26AM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 11:48:59AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > I would expect to see a highly polarised set of results, where most
> > > people rank further discussion as 2. It doesn't matter whether it's
> > > mathematically sound or not, that's how people think.
> > It might be how *you* think; but at least historically Debian tends
> > to prefer to make a decision, even if it's not the one they personally
> > prefer.
> Historically, Debian tends to have a whole bunch of nonsensical
> ballots filed in every vote; we have developers who simply do not
> comprehend our voting system.

Well, yes we do have developers who don't understand our voting system. By
what you've been saying in this thread, you're one of them.

> I think you'll find that most people who want to keep non-free would
> be happy to vote "Further discussion" and are not even aware of what
> you describe, let alone interested in it.

I think people who want to keep non-free would be much happier for the
project to decide that than to have further discussion on the matter.

I also think I'm in a better position to speak for such people, since I'm
one of them. But perhaps you have some evidence to support your claim, other
than baseless speculation?

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.