Re: thoughts on potential outcomes for non-free ballot

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 12:38:01PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> At the moment the substantive options that have been discussed are:
>
> 	[   ] Drop non-free
> 	[   ] Limit non-free to partially-DFSG-free software
> 	<   > Keep non-free as is (unproposed)

Before anybody gets a bright idea, that last one doesn't need
proposing, as it is the default option on the ballot; "Further
discussion" is precisely this scenario.

> > The social contract's ambiguity about handling of non-free software is
> > what led to Andrew's "drop non-free" proposal.
>
> Eh, I think it's safe to say that Andrew's opinion on what's best for
> Debian and our users is what led to the "drop non-free" proposal.

It would be more accurate to say that my observation of the opinions
of a group of people is what led to that proposal. If it were just me,
it wouldn't have looked the same, and I probably wouldn't have
bothered at all (I just don't care that much; I won't be greatly
concerned if majority desire for the presence of non-free causes the
default option to win).

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |