Re: GRs, irrelevant amendments, and insincere voting

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 02:53:21PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 01:21:12PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > 	I challenge the use of the term insincerely here.
>
> It's a technical term. We're asking for people to give their preferences
> in a list of options; if that's not what they give us (because some
> other set of numbers would be more likely to produce a better result),
> then that's considered an insincere vote.
>
> The problem here is that generally we don't want people to have to worry
> about hacking the voting system just to express an opinion.

Indeed.  What we want, ideally, is a voting system where people can
express their opinions on the ballot as they would express them outside
the context of a vote.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    There is no housing shortage in
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    Lincoln today -- just a rumor that