Re: GRs, irrelevant amendments, and insincere voting

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 18:04:55 -0500, Anthony DeRobertis <asd@suespammers.org> said:

> On Nov 1, 2003, at 10:27, Anthony Towns wrote:

>> On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 09:47:04AM -0500, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
>>> I think I just realized something... Due to the supermajority
>>> requirements, given my favorite ballot: A: strike SC 5 B: trivial
>>> C: strike SC 5 + trivial D: further discussion If my true
>>> preference is CABD, I should vote CADB or even CDAB. I should do
>>> this because A.6.3 makes my vote for D count against B (and A)
>>> three times.
>>
>> Well, no you shouldn't, because you're increasingly likely to end
>> up with the default option winning, which is what you claim to want
>> _least_.

> No, it doesn't. My preferred option still has just as many votes
> over the default option.

> I think I failed to get my point across. Let's say that we expect a
> close outcome between C and B, but with B slightly ahead. The main
> thing I want is to strike SC 5, but B is still a good result. So my
> honest preference is CABD. All three other options are better than
> the status quo, so I rank them as such in a sincere vote.

> Now, I realize that under A.6.3, B and A need to both independently
> get thrice the votes of the converse. So, wanting C above those two,
> I decide to give the converse a vote. I vote CDAB. That isn't
> sincere, but it's smart.

	Is it?  Sounds like you have a very short term viewpoint; and
 you are missing the whole point of a community of people finding
 common cause to create a free operating system.

	Sure, if having your way win is worth ore than coming to a
 cnosensus, you can vote insincerely.  Sounds kinda silly to spend a
 whole lot of time on Debian, when you are really contributing to
 infighting and intractability, just because you do not know how to be
 a team player.

	manoj
--
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.