Re: GRs, irrelevant amendments, and insincere voting

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 22:49:47 -0500, Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> said:

> On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 06:40:21PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Is it?  Sounds like you have a very short term viewpoint; and you
>> are missing the whole point of a community of people finding common
>> cause to create a free operating system.

>> Sure, if having your way win is worth ore than coming to a
>> cnosensus, you can vote insincerely.  Sounds kinda silly to spend a
>> whole lot of time on Debian, when you are really contributing to
>> infighting and intractability, just because you do not know how to
>> be a team player.

> Why the personal attacks on people who are interested in discussing
> what is (to date) only a hypothetical flaw[1] in our Standard
> Resolution Procedure?

	What personal attacks? How is my restatement different from
 your characterization oif insincerity?  I am stating that it is not
 smart to try and use majority to shut out options, since that leads
 to no decision being taken.

	Why is it that You can get away with saying that people vote
 insincerely when they state a that they prefer status quo
 to some proposition, and when I characterize that strategy as short
 sighted it is a personal attack?

	Is it that you do not want to hewar any opposition to your
 thesis, in in the event of any dissent you are going to use polemics
 and ridicule to try and shut down debate?

> Why the objection to an exploration of the issue?  If those of us
> who are intersted in it think about it now, we (the Project) may
> already have some reasoning under our belts should the situation
> ever come to pass.

	Who is opposing exploration (apart from you, using the usual
 masterly hyuperbole and ridicule?)  I am merely stating that the so
 called smart strategy is really a dumb one.

	manoj

--
You can always tell the Christmas season is here when you start
getting incredibly dense, tinfoil-and-ribbon- wrapped lumps in the