Re: Proposed General Resolution : IRC as a Debian communication channel

Le Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 12:15:30AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava écrivait:
>         I am not sure why we need this policy in Debian. After all,
>  the IRC channel in question are not run on Debian resources.  The
>  owners of the channel may allow volunteers who happen to also be
>  Debian developers be in charge of the channel, but, Debian is not in
>  charge.

The fact is that Debian is not in charge of it. But it's a common
gathering place for many Debian developers ... common enough to be
mentionned in the presentation mail you get from elmo once you're
a new debian developer.

As such, I think that this channel is "official" enough to be
a representative part of Debian. And when a contributor get kicked from
#debian-devel, he does certainly feel like being rejected by the
developer community (and probably won't get back soon to helping
Debian).

>  By all means go and talk to openprojects people and have them
>  put forth a policy governing the channels on their network.

They already have guidelines ... strictly speaking they have not been
always followed in #debian-devel. But they are only guidelines ...

> 	BTW, if there is an openprojects channel op that is
>  mistreating people on the channel, please ask the openprojects IRC
>  ops to correct the issue.

They OPN people certainly don't have to decide what's good for each
channel. It's up to us to resolve the problem. We tried on -private,
nothing came out. Now I've launched a general resolution so that we can
take a final decision and stop loosing time with such stupid issues.

And if you read my answer to Anthony in this thread, you'll see that
another simple solution is possible...

Le bouche à oreille du Net : http://www.beetell.com
Naviguer sans se fatiguer à chercher : http://www.deenoo.com