Re: Proposed General Resolution : IRC as a Debian communication channel

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 11:32:19AM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Great, I'm glad to hear that what I said is only common sense.

*snort* What you've said is a meaningless tautology, evidently of
the sort which everyone agrees to without thinking, and then has an
amiguity reinterpreted for someone's advantage, for example, using it
as a now unquestionable basis to argue say, that since "this channel is
"official" enough to be a representative part of Debian", then "when a
contributor get kicked from #debian-devel" he's "being rejected by the
developer community".

> Now if
> you can convince the operator in question to respect that common sense,
> i may have no problem stopping here with the GR.

If you're worried about what Branden does or thinks, talk to him about it.
Or argue with him and prove him wrong with irrefutable logic and cold
hard facts, or rant at him and mock him till he cries like a widdle babee,
or *whatever*.

I'd hardly be first in line claiming Branden's the easiest person in the
world to discuss something with, but proposing a pointless GR ain't the
way to go about getting things done. And it's *definitely* not right
to just forget about trying to get some sort of agreement amongst the
developers concerned, and try to force the issue with a vote.

You can think what you want, but just because you think it doesn't
mean anyone else does too, or should. And you *certainly* shouldn't
try to force them to think that by proposing a GR. A good start might
be actually talking about whatever it is that bothers you, like where
-private topics can be discussed other than -private, or what other ways
there are of keeping #dd usable, with less annoyance to newcomers.

Cheers,
aj

 "Security here. Yes, maam. Yes. Groucho glasses. Yes, we're on it.
   C'mon, guys. Somebody gave an aardvark a nose-cut: somebody who
    can't deal with deconstructionist humor. Code Blue."
		-- Mike Hoye,
		      see http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/armadillos.txt