Re: Proposed General Resolution : IRC as a Debian communication channel

On Sun, Nov 04, 2001 at 11:41:47AM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> The fact is that Debian is not in charge of it. But it's a common
> gathering place for many Debian developers ... common enough to be
> mentionned in the presentation mail you get from elmo once you're
> a new debian developer.
>
> As such, I think that this channel is "official" enough to be
> a representative part of Debian. And when a contributor get kicked from
> #debian-devel, he does certainly feel like being rejected by the
> developer community (and probably won't get back soon to helping
> Debian).

#debian could also be considered a representative part of Debian in
the eyes of the casual visitor, but it is also in no way a Debian
resource. Take your personal gripes up with the channel founder, which
is currently Wichert Akkerman.

> > 	BTW, if there is an openprojects channel op that is
> >  mistreating people on the channel, please ask the openprojects IRC
> >  ops to correct the issue.
>
> They OPN people certainly don't have to decide what's good for each
> channel.

And won't.

> It's up to us to resolve the problem.

No it isn't, the channel founder can run his channel any way he
pleases. If you don't like it, go make a new one.

> We tried on -private,
> nothing came out. Now I've launched a general resolution so that we can
> take a final decision and stop loosing time with such stupid issues.

And if it passes, exactly nothing will change. Debian has no power to
enforce this policy.

 : :' :                         | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-    http://www.debian.org/ | London, UK