Re: The constitution and the social contract

>>"Thomas" == Thomas Bushnell, BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:

 Thomas> Well, here are some questions.  Some should be easy to answer right
 Thomas> away.

 Thomas> 1: What is the status of the putative ballot announced last month?

	Why can't we just forget the mishaps of the past and focus on
 finding out what people want to do?

 Thomas> 2: Why is the vote page not even up do date?

	No one has had time to work on it? the archives of -vote are
 not exactly secret, you know.

 Thomas> 3: We need a ruling on Branden's claim that John's resolution has
 Thomas>    expired under the constitutions idle resolutions clause.

	No we don't. What we need is is a decision on 3 issues:
 a) Can we modify the social contract, and if so, what kind of
    majority is required (simple, 2:1 super, 3:1 super, etc)
 b) Do we want to modify the social contract, and remove bits of the
    non free stuff therein, and,
 c) Do we remove vestiges of non free packages from Debian machines
    and the BTS, or not.

	How we het these votes should really not be the issue (which
 it seems to have become)

 Thomas> 4: We have several proposals, GR or constitutional revision, which
 Thomas>    have received the necessary seconds for action, and we need ballots
 Thomas>    prepared to vote on them.

	Doesn't it begin to feel like we are concentrating so much on
 the process that we are beginning to lose sight of what we are trying
 to do?

 Thomas> It's not that hard to deal with.  Assuming that everyone is actually
 Thomas> willing to actually do it, it should take no more than a three-hour
 Thomas> conversation between Darren, Raul, and Wichert, to move forward.

	Seems like perhaps we should just forget the morass of mis
 steps and step out and actually try to figure out what we want to do
 rather than psend another year figuring out the propah protocol to
 begin to try and figure out where we may eventually start trying to
 do something about deciphering what our intentions are?

	manoj
--
 N: Phil Lewis E: beans@bucket.ualr.edu D: Promised to send money if I
 would put his name in the source tree. S: PO Box 371 S: North Little