Re: The constitution and the social contract

Hi,
>>"Buddha" == Buddha Buck <bmbuck@14850.com> writes:

 Buddha> Traditionally, the Chair is also supposed to maintain at
 Buddha> least the appearance of impartiality.  The Chair does not
 Buddha> speak for or against a motion, nor does the Chair vote,
 Buddha> unless a) it is a closed-ballot vote or b) the vote would
 Buddha> materially effect the outcome.  This "disenfranchisement" and
 Buddha> gag order are expected and come with the job.  Since all
 Buddha> Debian votes are conducted via closed balloting, I don't see
 Buddha> disenfranchisement as being an issue.  The only remaining
 Buddha> question is the impartiality and "gag-order" rule.

	Show me. Show me the gag order that apparently comes with this
 job. The constitution is open to all of us. Chapter and verse, please.

	I contend that there is a long standing tradition in Debian of
 people wearing multiple hats -- Ian J even had different email
 addresses (leader@debian.org) when he was speaking ex cathedra (if I
 may say without offence to the catholics amongst us). I alkso suggest
 that we are a) inteligent enough to recignize the difference between
 Raul speaking his opinion, and raul acting as a vote taker, and b)
 even if the secreatry, or, even, horrors, the DPL, actually voice
 (for shame) opinions, we can still hold up under the pressures and
 still, incredibly, hold an opinion of our own.

	If someone out there can't do that, please send me your name
 in private email; there are a lot of ballots I would like to stuff in
 the future, and your name would be very nice to have.

 >> I think it is insulting to imply that the secretary can't keep
 >> his different hats separated enough to allow his own opinions to
 >> taint his performance as an office bearer in the project.

 Buddha> The problem with the Chair isn't so much as allowing his own
 Buddha> opinions to taint his performance, as allowing his own
 Buddha> opinions from unduly influencing the debate.  I'm not so

	That, sir, is an insult to the members of this forum. I have
 enough brains to be able to judge a situation on its merits, thank
 you very much, and am uhnlikely to succumb to blind puppy worship of
 the granduer attached to the job of the Debian secretary.

	If we have people so are so susceptible to suggestion that a
 pronouncement by the person perfoming the clerical duties of running
 a vote are likely to change their votes, hell, their opinion is not
 likely to be a great help anyway.

 Buddha> certain that that is such a problem with the Debian
 Buddha> Secretary, as long as the secretary is good about being clear
 Buddha> when he is speaking as a developer, and when he is speaking
 Buddha> as Secretary.  The Secretary certainly doesn't seem to have
 Buddha> the same sort of power and influence as a meeting Chair would
 Buddha> have.

	Thank you. At last we seem to be back on the same wavelength.

 >> I am saddened to note that we have fallen to this level of distrust.

 Buddha> I'm not sure it's a level of distrust, as much as a desire
 Buddha> for a sense of impartiality.

 	I am mazed you can say that and not see that you are insulting
Raul.

 Buddha> Raul, in conducting this vote, would have -three- hats to
 Buddha> juggle: developer, Chair of the Technical Committee, and
 Buddha> Acting Secretary.  As developer, he should be able to speak
 Buddha> his opinion and participate freely.  As Chair of the Tech
 Buddha> Comm, he should speak only the decided opinion of the Tech
 Buddha> Comm, and as Secretary, his opinion shouldn't be a factor.

	umm, ok.

 Buddha> It's not just if Raul can juggle those three hats, but if the
 Buddha> rest of us can understand when he is or isn't.

	I think you over egagerate the difficulties. Raul, when he
 speaks as tech ctte charman, say things like the ctte has decided
 ..., which is a dead giveaway. And then, the secretary only counts
 votes and sends out ballots, so when there is an opinion in the mail,
 I cunningly deduce it si Raul the developer speaking.

 Buddha> It's already been mentioned that -anything- Darren is likely
 Buddha> to say now is going to be taken as coming from the Secretary,
 Buddha> so his ability to state his own opinion separate from his
 Buddha> official position is shot.  Can we avoid putting Raul into
 Buddha> that same unfortunate position.

	I think that official stements from the secretary stance has
 been wildly overstated. I woun't speak up after I had been castigated
 like Darrwen has been in this forum either.

	Folks, can we please stop grand standing and get the bloody
 show on the road, please? <insert stories of how we got along
 intelligently in the good old days here>. I understand the need for
 process, now that we have grown beyond a cosy little group, but
 surely there is no need for gag orders and rules for the sake of
 rules, is there?

	manoj
--
 I used to be such a sweet sweet thing, 'til they got a hold of me, I
 opened doors for little old ladies, I helped the blind to see, I got