Re: The Gordian Knot (was Re: Negative Summary of the Split Proposal)

On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 05:41:57PM -0500, Ean R . Schuessler wrote:
> # apt-get install gimp-nonfree
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   gimp-nonfree
> 0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 51 not upgraded.
> Need to get 29.9kB of archives. After unpacking 72.7kB will be used.
>
> WARNING: YOU ARE ABOUT TO INSTALL A PACKAGE ON YOUR SYSTEM WHICH IS NOT
>          FREE SOFTWARE. THIS MAY MEAN THAT YOU WILL NOT HAVE ACCESS TO
>          THE SOURCE CODE, MAY BE SUBJECT TO LICENSE FEES, OR A NUMBER OF
>          OTHER INCONVENIENT AND IMMORAL SITUATIONS THAT NO REASONABLE
>          DEBIAN USER WOULD EVER ALLOW THEMSELVES TO BE DRAWN INTO.
> Are you very sure you would like to proceed [y/N]? y

That would greatly annoy me and involve hardcoding what "non-free" means
into apt.  I'm opposed to the latter for technical reasons, I'm apposed to
the former for reasons thæt YOU DON'T HAVE TO SHOULD AT ME FOR FIVE LINES
TO TELL ME THAT I SHOULD NOT BE INSTALLING SOFTWARE THAT I'VE MADE A
DECISION TO INSTALL FOR WHAT BOILS DOWN TO YOUR POLITICAL AGENDA, NOT ANY
REAL REASON WHY I SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO PROCEED.  FURTHER, TYPING IN
ALL CAPS LIKE THIS SEEMS TO INDICATE THAT WHAT I AM ABOUT TO DO IS LIKELY
TO DAMAGE MY HARDWARE OF FILESYSTEM, RATHER THAN JUST INSTALL SOFTWARE YOU
THINK I SHOULD NOT RUN.

> Get:1 http://mirror potato/non-free gimp-nonfree 1.0.4-2 [29.9kB]
> Fetched 29.9kB in 0s (88.0kB/s)
> Selecting previously deselected package gimp-nonfree.
> (Reading database ... 28294 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking gimp-nonfree (from .../gimp-nonfree_1.0.4-2_i386.deb) ...
> Setting up gimp-nonfree (1.0.4-2) ...
>
> Isn't that more fun than removing a line that a determined user will just
> put back in? It's certainly more irritating to users of non-free software.

I hope the apt maintainers flatly refuse to implement something so
obviously evil.

The software required Win95 or better, so I installed Linux.